Saturday, June 30, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CYCLONE


The Cyclone in Coney Island turns 85 today. If you lived in the Coney Island area, this and the Parachute Jump and the Wonder Wheel, are iconic landmarks.

I remember the first time that I rode this roller coaster. It was the fastest and scariest thing that I had ever rode. This coaster gets up to speeds of 60 mph on some of the drops. I think the scary part of this ride is that it is made completely out of wood. The ride definitely has a shakiness to it. It has been said that the coaster is so shaky and fast, that a person once lost their dentures on the ride.



The ride today will cost 25 cents, just like in 1927.

I remember when I was growing up, Coney Island was a desolate place. I was told that Coney Island was at one time the place to be but that all seemed to disappear. In the late 60's, the Cyclone was condemned because of a lack of riders. In 1971 the City of New York bought the roller coaster and spruced it up. In 1975 the city re-opened it and it has been declared an official landmark. It also has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.


Happy Birthday!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment